I have extensive experience in representing individuals who have been charged with committing criminal or traffic offenses. I represent juveniles and adults including many college students. My past cases include clients who could receive a death sentence to clients facing only a fine. The great majority of my cases fall between those extremes including drug offenses involving kilos of contraband to residue, felony and misdemeanor assaults, weapon offenses, robbery, larceny, homicide, sex offenses, misdemeanors, and traffic matters including driving under the influence.
I understand the need for confidentiality, communication, and preparation for each case I agree to handle. I take my work and obligations very seriously while seeking the best result for each client.
A conviction in a Virginia Court is rarely, if ever, removed from one's record. Any conviction may impact one's freedom and future employment opportunities.
I have always been on the defense side of the criminal justice system. The government has a great resources to aide in the prosecution of a criminal matter. I believe my experience helps equalize the criminal justice system.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Law - Federal (White Collar Crime)
- Drug Violations
- Traffic Violations
- Virginia, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1978
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1974
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1974
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. - 1974
- Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, VA
- B.A. - 1971
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education Seminars
Honors and Awards
- Highest Professional Legal Ability and Ethics Standard by Martindale-Hubbell (Peer Rated)
- "Virginia Super Lawyers" -Virginia Business Magazine
- "Richmond's Best & Brightest Lawyers" - Richmond Style Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Richmond Criminal Bar Association, Past President
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws), Member
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and Virginia Trial Lawyers, Member